I love love love love love Canada day.
It's the best holiday. Here are my reasons.
1) It's a holiday with no expectations. No big dinners, no long lists of presents to purchase, no unrealistic expectations, and no commitments. It's just a fun day!
2) It's in the summer, close to the solstice. The day is so long and usually beautiful. I can't remember yucky weather on Canada day. That may be selective memory, but I don't care. In my mind, it is always beautiful July 1.
3) I almost always have fun on July 1 (I can think of one notable exception, but I'm who cares). Last summer I ate lots of cake and watched the fireworks with my dad and sister at the Ledge grounds. 2008 at a show with Blake. 2007 was my favourite Canada day of all time. I spent it on the Edmonton Queen River Boat. MBP played. We watched the fireworks from the river. It was beautiful.
4) THE HIGHLEVEL BRIDGE TURNS INTO A WATERFALL!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?
5) Free pancakes and cake everywhere you turn.
6) Canadian flags everywhere. We are nowhere near as flag crazy patriotic as our southern neighbours, so when Canadians bust out their flags, you better believe it's for a good reason.
7) Swearing in of new Canadian citizens at the ledge!
8) The strong sense of national pride.
9) This is a day where I remember how special our multiculturalism is. It's neat to see such diversity of our people. All partying down cause we love our sweet nation!! Oh yeah!
10) And my absolute most favourite part of this special day...